Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Facebook Friendships

In Boyd's article she shares her thoughts on "friendship" within social media:
"When a Friend request is sent, the recipient is given two options: accept or decline. In short, it's socially awkward to say no."

I agree with Boyd, though. It is totally awkward to defriend a boss or a person you went to high school with. But for me personally I would rather keep my friend list to a minimum vs. accumulating a list of random "friends".

After our discussion in class on Monday about the definition of an online friend, I went on twitter. The first tweet on my feed was from my friend (twitter friend and real life friend): "Does anyone else find themselves scrolling through their FB like 'who are these people' ... Should've been more selective when adding people". It was super ironic that she was tweeting that considering I had just left a class where the conversation was solely based around this issue. I had stated in class that during high school I had 1,000+ Facebook friends and as of a few months ago I am down to about 500. I cut my number in half because people I have never even met or met one time years ago were showing up on my newsfeed. I think the initial hype of Facebook had everyone friending any person they had even a little connection to, but as time has gone on I am finding that people are using it strictly for close friends and family members. Although some people have thousands of friends and use it as a way to display their accomplishments and how amazinggg life, for the most part I view it as a way of keeping up with/ in touch with family and friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment